AVA eases burdens for hospice patients

Angela Hospice patient Joanne Savage relaxing at home.
When Angela Hospice launched its telehospice program last January, the staff knew there would be benefits for patients, like faster response times and being able to see a nurse’s friendly face when getting help with their concerns. But as the program has evolved, we’ve discovered even more ways this innovative program is making life easier for hospice patients.

Joanne Savage could tell you. Widowed six years ago, she’s raising three boys on her own. And she’s been fighting her own battle with cancer for 11 years. Now on Angela Hospice’s home care program, one of the highlights for Joanne is AVA (Angela’s Virtual Assist), the tablet device that allows Joanne to connect to telehospice services and video chat. 

“It makes a difference,” Joanne said, “Because I know that I can call anytime and someone will be there.”

Joanne was diagnosed with peritoneal carcinoma, a rare form of cancer, at the age of 40. She was actually in remission for four years, but there were also surgeries, three years of trying different types of chemo, then radiation, until eventually her doctors told her they had tried all they could.

In July she signed on with Angela Hospice. Thanks to her strong faith, Joanne seems to be at peace with what is in store for her, but she can’t help worrying about her sons.

“My time is ticking because there’s only so much they can do. And we just wait. And that’s really hard. Because I get that look from the boys every day. Is today the day? Are you gonna pass away today? It’s put a lot of stress on all of us,” Joanne said.

Her daily struggles would seem overwhelming to many people, but they’re made a little easier through the help of family, friends, and her support system at NorthRidge Church. Her Angela Hospice team is also a part of that supportive network, including AVA.

And when AVA asks Joanne on Thursdays about her weekend supplies, it’s one less thing she has to worry about.

“If I need any supplies or anything like that…I’ll just hit yes and within minutes after I said that, I have someone calling and ordering me what I need,” Joanne said. “It’s incredible.”

It might seem like a simple thing, but Joanne is someone who sees the silver lining. She has an inspiring outlook, despite all the challenges she faces.

One of the many beautiful portraits of Joanne's 
sons that hangs in her home. Colin, Jack, and 
Nolan are all teenagers now. She’s begun the 
process of saying goodbye, making sure they know 
how much she loves them, how they make her 
proud, and all the qualities she admires in them.
“You know I always tell my kids, I have a very strong faith in God, and God can turn any situation into a good one. And he did. Because I got in with Angela Hospice, and oh my gosh -- it’s wonderful….it couldn’t have been a better blessing,” Joanne said.

In addition to having the AVA device there, she’s been grateful for the help with her pain, the emotional support, and the volunteer who comes every Wednesday to help with housekeeping. Her sons are a big help too. She says they’re very supportive. They help out around the house too, and Nolan -- her youngest, just 13 years old -- is the family chef.

“They’re all great kids,” Joanne said. “I love them to death. And that’s why I fight so hard to be here.”

Her best friend Michelle has agreed to take care of the boys, but the difficult thing right now is for Joanne to think of leaving them.

“We just put our faith in God and know that God can do anything. And maybe it’s time for me, you know? I guess at the right time he’ll call me home and I’ll go,” Joanne said. “I’ll just miss the boys.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time