Volunteer Spotlight: Lin Fantino


Name:  Lin Fantino

How long have you been a volunteer? I became a volunteer in Fall 2017.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
I work primarily in the Care Center, providing support for patients and staff. I completed a little additional training to allow me to support the Care Center staff with direct care to patients. This direct care adds a little more depth to the volunteer skill set and it is something I really enjoy.  

As volunteers, we are also invited to respond to the requests for volunteer assistance from other Angela departments. Marketing mailings, special events preparation and participation, and special assignment opportunities are some of the options for volunteers. I enjoy this variety.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
Volunteering has always been something I was drawn to. My children are grown and doing well and I had just retired,  so I wanted to find a meaningful way to give back for all of God’s gifts in my life, now that I finally had the time. Angela was the answer!

Why Angela Hospice?
When evaluating the optimal choice for volunteering, I found that Angela’s mission statement was a great match for what I was seeking. The emphasis on the dignity of each person and the love and care that should be provided at end of life is very important to me. Angela provides an enriching environment, customized palliative care options, and a caring community of professional people to each person who comes to us for care.  

My time at Angela nurtures my spirit and faith, and allows me to share with wonderful people – both on the Angela teams and the patients themselves.  It has added richness to my life that I don’t think I could find elsewhere.

Lin Fantino volunteers in the Care Center, 
providing support to patients and the staff.
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I always seem to take away something memorable from each of my volunteer assignments. One that stands out happened just a few weeks ago when Angela was asked to provide respite care in our Care Center for an infant, allowing the mother to get much needed rest. As part of the volunteer team for this request, I was able to spend time hugging, holding, feeding, and comforting this beautiful little baby. I will never forget the peace and gratitude I felt to be supporting this mother and baby to continue their journey together.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time