Spiritual Care Week 2019

Diane McDonald, MA, FT
In honor of Spiritual Care Week, October 20-26, we asked Angela Hospice's Director of Spiritual Care, Diane McDonald, to tell us about her work. Diane has been with Angela Hospice since 2016 as supervisor of the Spiritual Care team.

What do you find most rewarding about your work?
I find most rewarding the opportunity to touch people’s lives at possibly one of their weakest moments.

Can you describe an especially memorable story about working at Angela Hospice?
Each patient, family, and staff member are memorable but if I had to choose one it would be my witness of a healing/reconciliation between a mother and son.

What inspired you to pursue work in your field?
Jackie Robinson
Jackie Robinson has inspired me from when I was a young child all the way through my adult ministerial life. One of his quotes is: “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” I want to touch people’s lives because I am an expression of God and we are one in the human family.

You’d be surprised how the man inspires me to this day. And, how I got the privilege of
talking with his wife and family. (He’s been deceased since 1972).

What makes spiritual care so important in hospice?
Spiritual Care is so important because all human beings have at their core a "search for meaning." We can improve patient/family/staff spiritual well-being by meeting the spiritual needs people have on the journey through life. We believe in whole person centered care; health in mind, body and spirit; and genuine love and compassion that we so freely give.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time