Volunteer Spotlight: Dottie Wait

Name: Dottie Wait

How long have you been a volunteer?
Since 1992

What areas do you work in/what tasks do you do?
She used to do patient care, now she does bereavement, mailings, and works the events.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
When my husband was ill -- he had MS -- I had him enrolled in a hospice over in Dearborn Heights; that’s where I lived. I didn’t even know about Angela Hospice. But after he died, I’m a former RN, and I said, you know, that’s something I could do. All my kids were in college or out of college, and I thought, I don’t have anybody right in town, you know, and I needed to be involved because I have too much energy to sit at home and do nothing!

Why Angela Hospice?
Because I saw it in my church paper after my husband died, and I called and they were filled up for when I wanted to go. So they said to call back, so I did. Then I took the regular class for the eight weeks and then they were talking about the bereavement class and I took that.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Just knowing I’m helping people. That’s part of my nature. 

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering? 
I loved feeding the patients and all that when I used to volunteer in the Care Center. But I have sat with patients for compassionate care recently. I have done that so I don’t have to get involved with the computer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time