Volunteer Spotlight: Carmen Zatyko

Name: Carmen Zatyko

How long have you been a volunteer?
Two-and-a-half years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center.

Why did you decide to become a volunteer?
I always used to drive past this place when I was working and I thought, someday I want to stop there and see if I can become a volunteer. So when I changed jobs I thought, I can come in here and do this now. So I did. I called and here I am.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
What I get from the patients. I just love working with them. They are just amazing.

Carmen volunteers on A-wing in the Care Center.
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
There are a lot of them. We have this patient now and when I feed him he says, “Carmen, I’ll love you forever and ever.” I said, “Really? That’s so sweet.” I would be feeding him and he would say, “I love you,” and I’d say, “I love you too.” I thought that was so adorable, for somebody being so sick telling you that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time