Volunteer Spotlight: Sarah Shareef

Name: Sarah Shareef

How long have you been a volunteer?
Two years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Works the ice cream socials.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I volunteered at Beaumont Hospital before and I wanted something that was a little closer to home. Someone from my sister’s school recommended coming here and I did.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
I guess just trying to make someone’s day, even when they haven’t had the best day and they just need that little way to make them feel better. Especially when I’m doing the ice cream socials, it’s like they put a smile on someone’s face.

Sarah works the ice cream socials in the Care Center.
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
There was this gentleman that was telling me about his childhood and how they’d ride their bikes up to the gas station that was down the street, and they would go buy an ice cream for like a nickel. It was like we had brought him back to his childhood. Then he was talking about what his mom would make him for dinner and how her spaghetti was so good. It was nice to hear. I like those kinds of stories when older people tell you all about their childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time