Employee Spotlight: Dawn Foster

Name: Dawn Foster, Housekeeping/Laundry Supervisor

How long have you worked here?
Six years.

What made you decide to work here?
I heard about this place working in this field – I work in health care, it’s the only thing I’ve ever done – and we had patients that were enrolled in Angela Hospice so I would have interactions with the social workers and the nurses that came to our facility. They were always so cheerful and delightful. I found out it was Angela Hospice so that always stayed in my mind.

I stayed at that job for 10 years and they outsourced my position so I needed to find another job. The first place I thought of was Angela Hospice, and the timing of it was crazy because at that time I didn’t know that they were building a new Care Center. …I had known that they didn’t have a housekeeping and laundry supervisor. I went on the website and sure enough there was a posting.

What’s a typical day like for you?
A typical day here is busy. (laughs) Of course, a lot of walking, constant interaction with employees. We clean after the employees as well as the patients and their families. Just overall to have the place look and meet and match our reputation. We do get a lot of compliments when people walk in – they’re blown away by how well-maintained it is.

We do a lot of dusting, finger-prints…you wouldn’t even imagine. Every day for me I cover just about every square inch of the building, from 6 o’clock in the morning until 2:30 p.m. I’m upstairs first, then downstairs, just everywhere. It’s crazy but I love it.

Dawn with Angela Hospice Building Services
Supervisor Rory Moning.
What is your favorite part about working at Angela Hospice?
I just feel like when I pull in the parking lot I get a sense of serenity. The grounds are so beautiful. It’s just a calm, serene place. Then when you get in the building…this is the best job I’ve ever had. The vibe here is so friendly and the staff is just like your extended family, so my work family. That and just providing a good service for our families in home care as well as the Care Center.

What is one of your favorite memories from your time at Angela Hospice?
It was around the holidays and we had a big donation of all sorts of candy, cookies, all kinds of sweets, chocolate, everything. You walked in and it was like you were at the Willy Wonka store…just chocolate for days. That was a really nice memory for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time