Volunteer Spotlight: Judy Green

Name:  Judy Green

How long have you been a volunteer? Since 1996

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
At first, I worked in the Care Center and did mailings, hospitality, or whatever I was asked to do. One of my long time tasks was providing meals for families in the My Nest is Best program.

After my husband's illness and death, I found that patient contact was too difficult. I don't do as much as I did since I've moved away from Livonia to Commerce Township. I still provide desserts for caregiver dinners and help with mailings and fundraising when I can.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I was looking for worthwhile volunteer work after retirement. Angela Hospice is well known and seemed like a good place to volunteer.

Why Angela Hospice?
It was close to home at the time and a Catholic-based organization that fulfilled a great need.

Judy bakes desserts for caregivers suppers
for patients and their families to enjoy.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
There are so many areas in which to be useful, and as my abilities change with age and location, I am still able to help.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
People share so many stories with us. I think the Tree of Life encourages people to tell us about their loves ones' journeys. The fact they are willing to share these memories with us is a rare privilege. We all like to remember those in our lives who have gone before us and I am always happy to listen.

Comments

  1. Congrats Judy. Judy use to be my neighbor in Livonia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have spoken up in today's memorial service, but I was reluctant. Anglia Hospice was so kind and caring for my wife Patricia Sullivan who died January 26, 2018. But they also cared for and helped for those left behind. After 54 years of marriage and experiencing death of various friends and relatives, I never knew what grief was. Anglea has been a great deal of help in dealing with my grief. I am thankful of what Angela did for Patti and myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time