Volunteer Spotlight: John Robertson

Name:  John Robertson

How long have you been a volunteer?  I became a volunteer in Fall 2017

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer? I visit weekly with an elderly man who resides in a memory care facility. We spend almost two hours together enjoying each other's company. I also speak with his wife after we visit.

I serve as a co-facilitator with an Angela Hospice staff member in leading the Men's Bereavement Support Group.

What made you decide to become a volunteer? Volunteering has been an important part of my life since entering college. It has helped me to grow as a person in meeting new people and enjoying new experiences.

John Robertson prepares to facilitate the Men's Bereavement
Support Group with social worker David Barrett.

Why Angela Hospice? Serving in the community has helped me understand from other people that Angela Hospice is the best! I appreciate that Angela Hospice serves from a Christian perspective which means love and compassion for each person is paramount.

What is your favorite part about volunteering? I appreciate that I can put my faith into action sharing His love with others. As the bible says: We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:10). I am happy to be His servant.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering? Seeing a smile on my elderly gentleman's face and the twinkle in his eyes, plus the wave of his hand when I say goodbye is extremely fulfilling. I also appreciate the kind words of thankfulness from his wife (they have been married over 60 years!). Helping men who are grieving is so important, especially when tears can be mingled with laughter. Sharing emotion is so important when one is vulnerable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time