Volunteer Spotlight: Kevin Finerty

A weekly feature where you can get to know some of our volunteers.

Name Kevin Finnerty

How long have you been a volunteer?
Since April.


What areas do you work in/what tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I retired and I was bored. I thought, “I want to do something where I'm giving up myself.” I've taken all these years from employers, if you will, as an employee and given back. But I really wanted to do something to give back. I wanted to learn more about Angela Hospice and about the hospice philosophy. I have never been around people that are in the process of dying. I wanted to learn more about that. I mean, I've lost both my parents but I wanted to learn a little bit more.

The classes were just wonderful. Syndie did a great job. And every one of us, despite the fact that it was throughout the winter, we looked forward to getting out in that blizzard, and coming to learn more about the Felician sisters and Sister Giovanni’s triumph.

Why Angela Hospice?
It’s local. Two of my close friends' mothers passed here. They had talked about Angela Hospice and what a great place it is.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Well, in the beginning it was the classes. I'm an educator and I thought the classes were done very, very well.

Coming is bittersweet. Sometimes you get here, and people you fed last week are no longer here. That's the bitter. But you have to – I don't like to use the word harden yourself to that, but it's reality. That's why I wanted to come here and learn more about death and dying. And that you met new people here. I think that's it in a nutshell.

I love coming to help people, and see them and chat with them.

I'm mainly in Wing C, that's where I did my training. That's where I've been ever since.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
There was a gentleman who was from Ford and I would always stop in and see him. His wife was always very gracious and she would say to her husband, "Your buddy from Ford is here."

I would just come in, and chat with him about me working in the glass house and him being an engineer. Just being able to chat with him about what an engineer does as compared to an HR man that recruited all those people. He was doing fine, and I would come in and just sit and we would chat. The next week he wasn't here. But I have a fond memory of him and his stories and his wife, a very gracious lady.

I enjoy meeting the families equally as much as the patients and asking if I can help them with anything – get them coffee or ice water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time