Volunteer Spotlight: Georgia Scappaticci

Name: Georgia Scappaticci

How long have you been a volunteer?
Since 1998

What areas do you work in/what tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Thursday tea, notary service for home care patients, bereavement, and fundraising.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
To become a volunteer I took the course because I was helping with the fundraising at the beginning in 1998 when we did it at Jacobson's, and Carolyn DiComo asked if I would help chair it with her. So that's how I actually got into it.

I didn't know that much about it (hospice care), and after I learned and got more knowledge about it that's when I thought this is a wonderful place to work with, and just being with the people and trying to help whenever.

Why Angela Hospice?
Transportation-wise it was close. As I said Carolyn DiComo was the one that got me into it to begin with, raising money for Angela Hospice. Then I got to become friends with Sister Giovanni, and the people that were here were almost like family to me.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
I love doing the tea, and mixing with the families. When the patients can come down that's really rewarding with the different comments they give. It gets them out of the room…They really, really appreciate it. I've gotten many compliments from them, not that I want a pat-on-the-back or anything. It is very rewarding at a time when they really need something to take their mind off of what they're really here for.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I have several. One that I'll never forget is from a home care patient when I went out. Of course, when you go to home care you never know what the situation is going to be. This lovely man was lying there and we got to talking. He asked me right out, "You know when I die I'll be seeing people up there, is there anyone you want me to talk to?" I thought it was so outstanding that he could think of such humor at this particular time. I said, "Yes, when you go up there you'll see two of my girlfriends who died from smoking, and say, see, see, see!" And we just kind of laughed about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time