Volunteer Spotlight: Sandy Burton

Name: Sandy Burton

How long have you been a volunteer?
28 years

What areas do you work in/what tasks do you do?
She used to do patient care, now she makes soup once a week for residents and their families.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I had taken care of my mom at home for 16 years and I contacted Angela Hospice and got three months of home care for her. Then because they did such a wonderful job, and I was so dedicated to them, I decided I’d like to volunteer there.

I was told I could but I had to wait a year. So I came and worked, did patient care in the old building for about three years. Then I decided, you know, they have a lot of people that do this (patient care) why don’t I just make soup for the families so that they don’t have to leave the bedside. I started to make a variety of soup at first but then I found that the residents, when they couldn’t handle anything from the kitchen anymore, they would take some broth. So I decided to start just making chicken noodle soup because that is a comfort soup. So that’s what I’ve been doing ever since.

Favorite part about volunteering?
The hugs and being aware of the care the residents really get here. They care as much for the family as they do their residents. I think that’s very important because it’s a very difficult time for the families.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I guess I really don’t have a special story because every day that I come is special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time