Volunteer Spotlight: Ellen Lukas

Name: Ellen Lukas

How long have you been a volunteer?
Two years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Haircuts for home care patients, Tree of Life, and mailings.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
Both my parents were patients at Angela Hospice, my dad in 2004 and my mom in 2008. It was just a really good experience with both of them. I met [Spiritual Care Manager] Kathy Ostroskie, who was the volunteer coordinator at the time, and she said Angela Hospice was looking for somebody to give haircuts; that they could always use help. It was just the perfect timing, so that’s what I did.

Ellen at last spring's Laughter Lifts You Up event.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Probably meeting the patients and their families, and getting to know both of them.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
It’s really kind of similar to the question before. It’s getting to meet the patients and their families. Everybody has some sense of…they feel good about themselves if their hair is neat and they are put together. I like being able to help people feel better about themselves that way. Even when they are sick and getting their hair cut, you’ve got your hands on them. It makes me feel good that they’re feeling good and being cared for.

I can remember one lady in particular, going to see her…and giving her the haircut she wanted and being able to talk with her and listen. She ended up making me feel better when I left, which I found to be pretty interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time