Volunteer Spotlight: Beth Judd

Name: Beth Judd

How long have you been a volunteer?
Three years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Care Center and spiritual care.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
My mom passed away, and I was with her when she passed, and it was a very profound, beautiful experience for me. It was sad, but it was so moving. I knew that I wanted to be able to bring some comfort to people because to me it wasn’t just sad, it was very spiritual.

Why Angela Hospice?
Because Angela's is in Livonia and I live in Livonia. That’s how I got here.

Beth often volunteers in spiritual care.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
How rewarding it is. To be able to give someone comfort is the most rewarding experience you can have, and it’s such a beautiful environment here.

At a time when people feel that they couldn’t possibly find comfort, if you’re able to do that, that’s the best gift of all.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
There was a gentleman who was transitioning, and he was on my list for spiritual care. I went in and he was unconscious. He wasn’t able to communicate with me. I leaned over in his ear and I whispered to him and soothed him. I stayed with him for a half an hour. When I would stop he would start to moan or thrash again but when I would say, “Shh, you’re OK. I’m gonna stay with you,” he would calm down. It was a wonderful feeling.

He had family, they just weren’t here, and he was cared for. He was clean. All I could think of was, 'what if that was my loved one?' and they were having a difficult time, and somebody came in and calmed them. I would want that for my loved one. It was just a great experience for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time