Volunteer Spotlight: Charlotte Neary

Name: Charlotte Neary

How long have you been a volunteer?
Three-and-a-half years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center, gardening, errands, and Tree of Life.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
Once I retired I felt like I needed to give back.

Why Angela Hospice?
As us older nurses start maturing we start realizing that there’s a need for it. I have a sister-in-law who is a nurse, and she works in cardiac care.

Just in some of our talks it really got me thinking that maybe hospice would be a good place to volunteer and give back. When I walked in here, I found this place is blessed. It is holy. There is no other way to describe it.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
I get to be the nurse that I learned to be 50 years ago. As the years have gone by nurses do more and more paper work…I think here they do more patient and hands-on care than they do in the hospitals.

        Charlotte volunteers in the Angela Hospice Care Center.
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I’m just overwhelmed sometimes just making a pot of coffee and having a family say, “Thank you.” Just that kind of thing, like sitting there holding their hand, talking to a patient.

A few months back we had a patient that had a lot of difficulty breathing and I’d often sit with her, even after she’d gotten her medication, until it started kicking in and helping. Her kids happened to come, but as I was walking out they came up and said, “Thank you.” I feel like I’m really…I’m hoping I’m really helping these patients. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time