Volunteer Spotlight: Judy O'Meara

Name: Judy O’Meara

How long have you been a volunteer?
17 years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
In 1989 my brother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and he died that year. I knew he had hospice care and it was wonderful. I thought, “Well, when I retire, if I have some time, that’s what I’d like to do.” And I love it.

Why Angela Hospice?
I had heard very nice things about Angela Hospice. It’s in the area…at the time [I started volunteering] I was living in Livonia. It was a wonderful place.

Judy volunteers in the Care Center, where she
performs many different tasks.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Being with the patients. Absolutely.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I was a teacher for 30 years, and one of my students ended up here. That is one of my fondest, one of many fond memories I have, was administering to him.

I think just the overall…meeting with the patients and their families. I know that a lot of people think, “How can you go to this place?” But it’s a wonderful place to go to. It’s a peaceful place. It’s a loving place. I would say that I receive much more than I would ever give here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time