Volunteer Spotlight: Virginia Walter

Name: Virginia Walter

How long have you been a volunteer?
About a year.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center and home care.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I retired from my nursing career, almost three years ago, and I wanted to be able to give back some of my skills that I’ve learned over time, and be in touch with families and patients. It just felt very comfortable for me to do that.

Why Angela Hospice?
I’ve known Angela Hospice for many years because of friends and families who have been involved with it over time, and I’ve always admired the work that they do.

As I told Syndie [Angela Hospice Director of Volunteer Services] when I interviewed with her…I was seeking something in my life. I wasn’t quite sure what, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the work that I’m doing here.

Virginia volunteers in the Care Center and home care.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Connecting with patients and families.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
Working with a gentleman in home care. He was very concerned about properly disposing of some of his treasures after his wife died. He wanted to know where he could donate them to go to some good. I was able to help facilitate him finding a place that he could donate them and he was just thrilled.

They gave him a plaque of recognition that he had donated and he kept it on his bedside table at his home. Then he died shortly after that. I was struck at how much joy it gave him that he was able to do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time