Volunteer Spotlight:Marge Vendittelli

Name: Marge Vendittelli

How long have you been a volunteer?
16 years this fall.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Patient care in the Care Center, mailings, and the Tree of Life.

Why did you decide to become a volunteer?
I had an aunt that lived in Berkley and her daughter was able to keep her at home with the help of a hospice. They were so good and my cousin said she could not have taken care of her mother if it wasn’t for hospice helping her out.

Then I had just gone through cancer - now I’m a survivor of 16 years - and I live not too far away. I would go by Angela Hospice and think, “Oh, I should do something to give back.” So I came here and I went to the classes, and have been here for almost 16 years.

I think I’ve received way more than I’ve given back. It’s just an awesome place to be. The nurses, the aides, the other volunteers, Syndie [Best], Melanie [Miller], just everybody is so nice here. And it’s a beautiful facility.

When I first started, the Care Center was in this [the administration] building. I have friends who have had people here at Angela Hospice and they can’t praise it enough, so it makes me feel really proud of it.

Marge (second from left) often volunteers
in the Care Center.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
The patients.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
Over the years there’s been so many. There were a couple ALS patients that were here for three years or more, and you get kind of attached to them. It’s really sad when they pass away. They were very special people. To me that is the worst possible thing you could have. It makes you feel so grateful for your health.

This one ALS patient asked me if I would scratch her leg, she had an itch, and she couldn’t do anything for herself. That probably was one of the better but harder things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time