Volunteer Spotlight: Jeanie Pritt

Name: Jeanie Pritt

How long have you been a volunteer?
Since 2014.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Mainly mailings and helped with a marketing project last year.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I really believe in volunteerism. I worked full-time until I was 68 and during that time I would also volunteer, especially when my children were smaller. I think that’s kind of the backbone of America.

Why Angela Hospice?
The reason that I chose Angela Hospice was because when it was built in 1993 I lived across the street in the subdivision. When I would be on my way to teach I would think, “Ok, when I’m old and gray I can volunteer over there and read to patients.” I had thought of myself as being involved with the patients; but here, 40 years later, I’ve been involved with a lot of patients and people in the family who have passed away, so I knew that what I would be better suited for was the administrative part.
The person who influenced me to come over here was Bob Alexander [Angela Hospice Director of Development]. He came to our Stephen’s Ministries in Northville and gave a presentation about Angela Hospice, and it just clicked with me: Ok, that’s a good place to volunteer. My heart would be with that and I’d continue my walk with Jesus, and it just seemed like a good fit, and it is. It really is. I really appreciate working in this environment. It’s so positive.

When I did the branding/marketing interviews with the 14 leadership members I saw that all the staff, everybody, is just so heart-filled and trying to do God’s work in whatever way they can. It’s really a great place to be. I hope to continue here and I hope to do more writing and interviewing and things of that nature.

Jeanie (far right) often works the mailings for our events.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Giving to people, and it’s just…you know I talk to people about volunteering in hospice, my senior friends, and they all go, “Like that’s the place you go to die.” I say, “Hey, it’s a wonderful place.” The nurses and doctors are wonderful too. It’s a God-given gift to Livonia. It’s nothing to be afraid of or that kind of thing.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
It comes right to my head but the one-on-one interviews that I conducted with the leadership team. There are two people in particular that just amazed me. They were just so wonderful and they were so communicative and wanting to share. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time