Employee Spotlight: Krystie Davis

Name: Krystie Davis, RN Home Care Case Manager

How long have you worked here?
Four years.

What made you decide to work here?
While going through Wayne State University Nursing School I worked as a caregiver at an assisted living facility, and Medtech. I loved that with this job I got to know residents and families, and I really enjoyed working with the elderly. There was a hospice RN who used to come to the facility I worked at, and she knew I was going through nursing school, so she would talk to me and teach me things about hospice. I found her job very interesting and knew I wanted to find out more about it.

When I was in my community clinical rotation my last semester of nursing school, I was able to shadow Karen Cafeo (Angela Hospice Director of Quality Systems and RN) for a day and I loved it. A few months after graduation and taking my boards, I put in an application and was hired right away for the position.

What is a typical day for you?
Not sure if there is really a “typical” day for a RN Case Manager. Every day is different and a new adventure, which I really enjoy about my job.

In the morning I always listen to voicemails from the night/weekend before. On Monday mornings I make phone calls to my patients/families and set-up my schedule for the week. I see around 4-6 patients a day. I do most of my charting in the evening when I get home for a few hours each night. On Fridays I make tuck-in phone calls for the weekend, making sure my patients have all their prospective needs met, enough medications and supplies, etc., before the weekend.

Krystie (far right) at last year's Light Up a Life gala.
What is your favorite part about working at Angela Hospice?
Knowing that I am able to make a difference in my patients’ and families’ lives, and making sure their wishes at the end of life come true.

What is one of your favorite memories from your time at Angela Hospice?
I worked an on-call shift for Christmas Day a few years ago and I was called out to a death visit. After driving at least an hour away (and wondering this whole time if this patient was really in our service area!) I arrived at the patient’s home. The patient’s son and daughter greeted me and I offered my condolences. They took me to the back family room where their Dad was in his recliner chair, sat right in front of a huge picture window overlooking a lake. It was snowing and such a beautiful scene. The family said Dad died peacefully in his favorite chair, doing what he loved most, overlooking the lake and watching the snow fall. I have had many moments like this while working for Angela Hospice; these special moments always remind me why I love doing my job. We allow patients to stay in their home and die peacefully with their loved ones surrounding them; what a great gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time