Volunteer Spotlight: Larry Janowski

Name: Lawrence (Larry) Janowski

How long have you been a volunteer?
Five years

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
I work in the patient care facility and assist in fundraising for Angela hospice. Every other Saturday during the summer, I barbecue for patients and their families. On Sunday mornings, I volunteer with the snack cart and visit with families and patients if they are up to it. During the year, I help with various fundraisers, such as: the Tree of Life, golf outings, Walk of Remembrance, and help as needed setting up other fundraisers.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I had a spiritual encounter. Angela Hospice helped my wife’s family with my mother-in-law’s passing. The nurses from home care helped our family as needed keeping the family together and making sure my mother-in-law did not suffer and could spend her remaining time sharing family memories.While driving home from work, I passed Angela Hospice and was wondering how I could give back to my community. 

Larry and his wife Carol at Angela Hospice's annual Light Up a Life Gala.

Why Angela Hospice?
I heard a small voice telling me to help others. Angela Hospice was a perfect fit.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Helping others and giving back to my community.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
While barbecuing one Saturday afternoon, a patient asked me to give him the best hot dog ever and to make it extremely well done. I did my best to honor his request and the patient sat nearby me. When he was finished he came back, thanked me, and told me the hot dog was the best he ever had. A few days later he passed away, but he really enjoyed the hot dog! My greatest reward is helping others and raising money for a great organization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time