Volunteer Spotlight: Linnea Schulz

 Name: Linnea Schulz

How long have you been a volunteer? About 6 months

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
I have enjoyed volunteering in different areas at the Care Center trying to find where I can be of most help and what works best with my schedule. I have shadowed the hospitality cart and patient care. I help sort donated books for the library at the Care Center and keep the library shelves stocked. I have volunteered at the Mother’s Day Brunch and Arbor Day. Currently I am shadowing for the new concierge program. All the volunteers and staff that have spent time training me have been very kind and patient.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I have enjoyed volunteering with various organizations for most of my life. I grew up in a family where volunteering to help others was instilled in us at a young age and often done as a family. The practice of volunteering has continued with my own daughters and now granddaughter.

Why Angela Hospice?
My Mom spent the last 2½ weeks of her life at the Angela Hospice Care Center. She was treated with such dignity and the experience was a real blessing for our entire family.

Linnea has enjoyed working in the Care Center Library.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Meeting and talking with people ㄧ both visitors to the Care Center and other volunteers and staff members.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
A recent story happened while volunteering at the Arbor Day celebration. I experienced both extremes of visitors, some that had recently experienced a loss and the grief was still very raw, and a couple of women at the other end who planted a new tree every year for several years in memory of their loved one but who could smile and laugh and share their memories and happiness with others. Very interesting to watch how the two extremes melted together to help each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time