Volunteer Spotlight: Phil Ernzen

A weekly feature where you can get to know some of our volunteers.

Name: Phil Ernzen

How long have you been a volunteer?
Going on two years

What areas do you work in/what tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Plays music and sings songs as a form of music therapy for patients and their visitors.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I've been a hospice volunteer in different places for over 12 years. I just love the experience of volunteering in a hospice setting. It's very, very fulfilling and rewarding.

Why Angela Hospice?
I was at another hospice and I met somebody who was working here. They talked about how nice it was. Based on what they said I checked it out and I was very impressed with the operation here. So I came.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Meeting the people. Feeling that you're making a difference in their lives at a very important time -- both the patients and their family or visitors -- but also the staff has been very welcoming and helpful to me. As I enter into each of the wings the staff there will point me in the right direction to people they think might be particularly open and receptive or helped by my music at any given time.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
I've met a lot of really interesting people. I've made some pretty good friendships with folks that have had a relatively long stay here. Some patients are here a lot longer than others and I get to know them fairly well. I get to know about their life story and their family and what they like. That's very rewarding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time