Volunteer Spotlight: Cheryl Paul-Ward

Name: Cheryl Paul-Ward

How long have you been a volunteer?
Nine years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Has done patient care in the Care Center, prepared dishes for Thanksgiving dinner and pediatric families, clerical work, and the Tree of Life.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I did hospice [volunteering] on the east side because my husband had passed away from pancreatic cancer. It seems like a lot of times those are the reasons. When I talk to other volunteers they’ve had similar situations.

Cheryl has a long history with the Felicians, including
going to Ladywood High school.
Why Angela Hospice?
I went to Ladywood High School and I grew up in Livonia. So having dealt with the Felicians before, that was probably the reason why. The other hospice on the east side had no affiliation regarding religion, and not that Angela Hospice necessarily does, I know all patients are welcome; they still have the same beliefs I have. So that’s another reason why.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Well, I’ve meant amazingly wonderful people and that absolutely starts with the volunteers. I have two really special relationships with two ladies as a result of volunteering. When you feel the same way about a certain thing…it matters.
  
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
In regards to those two ladies I worked with, the three of us sat in a lady’s room, and she was actively passing at that point in time. It was Christmas time so we sang Christmas carols to her and prayed. It wasn’t sad, but beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time