Volunteer Spotlight: Sue Scappaticci

Name: Sue Scappaticci

How long have you been a volunteer?
11 years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do? 
Wednesday caregiver dinners, events, and used to do patient care.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
That’s the interesting thing. A friend of mine was a volunteer and it seemed so rewarding for her. She always talked about the patients inspiring her, especially this one particular patient. She said to me, “You’ve got to see about volunteering. I think you’d make a good volunteer.” At the time my mother was diagnosed with lymphoma and I was busy with my mom. Then, shortly after that I was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I had a two-fold worry there. Unfortunately, my mother passed away. But I’m still here, so I told my friend to give me a little time after my mom had passed, and I’ll think about it.

Sue cooks for the weekly caregiver dinners.
My friend brought me here and it was just so different from what I expected. So clean…it was just very nice. Then I thought, ya know what? I have a second chance and I want to give back, so that’s what I did. And I enjoy it. It’s very rewarding. I’ve made a lot of friends, lot of wonderful people. I’ve met caregivers, volunteers, and staff. They are all so nice.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
I love people and I like to be with different people. And that’s how it is here. You have a variety of people, especially in the mailing process.

What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
There’s just so many. The Tree of Life is interesting because you don’t have to go to people, people come right to you. They go into stories right off the bat about their loved one. You just sit there and listen and you’re so amazed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time