Volunteer Spotlight: Sharon Stuscavage

Name: Sharon Stuscavage

How long have you been a volunteer?
Three years.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Medical records, bakes cookies for incoming volunteer classes, caregiver suppers, and the Tree of Life.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
A few years ago they needed people to go to the Tree of Life and they said you could bring a friend, and my friend asked me to come. After I got done…I had kind of been looking for somewhere to start volunteering because I had been very active in the school system when my kids were smaller…when I worked the Tree of Life I thought, “I think I like this.” So I came in and did the volunteer classes.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
The satisfaction you get from seeing how grateful people are, especially at the caregiver suppers. They are so grateful for that little, tiny thing.

Sharon volunteers in many areas,
including medical records.
What is one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
That’s a hard one. I do know the first time that I worked the Tree of Life a little boy came up and he asked me what the angels were for. I said they were for our loved ones in heaven and he said, “I have an uncle that’s in heaven.” He tugged at my heart a little.

Then there was an older gentleman in the Care Center who was Southern, and he always talked to me. He was from the same state – Kentucky – that my mom and dad were from, and he ate something that my mom and dad always ate. He’d come down to the caregiver suppers and one evening I heard his daughter say, “Do you want your buttermilk?” Then I thought how my mom and dad always drank buttermilk. He said yes and the next thing I knew I saw him crumbling his corn bread into his buttermilk. I told him he almost brought me to tears because that was what my mom and dad did all the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time