Employee Spotlight: Kelly Hardy

Name, title: Kelly Hardy, Home Care Social Worker

How long have you worked here?
15 years

What made you decide to work here?
The idea of working with families in their own homes really appealed to me. Being able to see what daily life is like for someone is very helpful in trying to understand their needs.
I also really appreciated the extent to which emotional and spiritual needs were valued at Angela Hospice – that’s often not the case in other areas of health care.

How had you heard of Angela Hospice?
I had a friend who had worked at Angela Hospice for a brief time and she encouraged me to consider working here.

What’s a typical day like for you?
My days are typically comprised of several phone conversations with patients and families who are currently in our program, as well as bereavement phone calls to families who have recently lost a loved one. Home visits are also a regular part of each day in which I serve as a counselor and a community resource liaison for our patients and families. Generally, I assist in coping with end-of-life experiences, caregiver stressors, and ensuring that patients are informed and able to access the care and resources that they need.

Kelly (second from left) at Angela Hospice's Light Up
a Life Gala last fall.
What is your favorite part about working at Angela Hospice?
I’ve always said that Angela Hospice has an incredible way of drawing in some of the most caring people around. It’s a special thing to work closely with colleagues who have shared values and who care so much about helping others.

Every day I’m reminded to be humble and to be grateful for the little things in life. If you’re paying attention doing this work, it’s hard not to have constant perspective.

What is one of your favorite memories from your time at Angela Hospice?
I remember the first time, early in my career, being in the home with a family when their loved one took his last breath. It was such an intimate moment to share with them and it’s really hard to put that feeling into words. In the moment, I was completely in awe of what had happened and then I was able to guide this family through the steps that followed.

There have been some really special moments where transformative things have happened in families – in terms of communication or newfound understanding in relationships – that I have been fortunate to be a part of. Those are experiences that remind me why this time at the end of life is so precious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time