Volunteer Spotlight: Pat Millen

Name: Pat Millen

How long have you been a volunteer?
Two years in April.

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Development, events, mailings, salads for Caregiver Suppers, and ice cream socials.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
I am in a place in my life that’s really very good and I’ve gotten more free time. My grandchildren don’t need me anymore, they’re all in school now; I used to be there for them in case the parents had to go do something. Now I don’t have to do that and I’m in good health. I just decided that I need to give back and thought, “Where could I do this? How could I volunteer?”

Pat (left) working at Burgers, Brews & Bros.
I was thinking about food pantries and serving meals, but I’ve lived in this community for 45 years, and I only live three miles away. I’ve been associated with the Felicians since school -- I went to school for 12 years with them in Hamtramck…And I thought, “You know, this is close and I think I have skills that I can give to Angela Hospice.” I really like the whole concept that they have over here too.

I think being at Angela Hospice has changed me for the better because everybody is just so nice. I thought this would probably be a good fit for me because I can do a lot of different things and I’m conscientious, dependable. I think I come in with a good attitude…So it’s almost been two years and I’ve loved it. It’s been very nice.

What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Helping out, meeting the people…just being part of the group. Most everything I’ve done I’ve enjoyed doing so I don’t have any one thing in particular.

I enjoy working in the Development Department, I think it’s a lot of fun to help out with all the events that are going on and see all the background work that happens. I have an office background so I think I kind of fit in over there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time