Volunteer Spotlight: Kathy Andrus

Name: Kathy Andrus

How long have you been a volunteer?
Five years this fall

What areas do you work in/what sort of tasks do you do as a volunteer?
Bereavement, the Walk of Remembrance, and the snack cart in the Care Center.

What made you decide to become a volunteer?
A while ago my church was looking for support for parishioners who had lost family members. I came here at that time and asked to go through the bereavement program, which is kind of unheard of, but I did. And I’m still here.

Why Angela Hospice?
I just love Angela Hospice. It’s a beautiful place to work. Everybody here is so friendly and nice, and it’s very flexible. That’s why I like it here, and that’s why I like to work in the bereavement department because that’s really where my passion lies.

Favorite part about volunteering?
The people. You learn quite a bit from the patients, the families, people that go through the support, and the other volunteers that you work with. So it’s just the people.

What’s one of your favorite stories or memories from volunteering?
Probably my favorite is every now and then in the Care Center there’s a patient that that has their whole family there and they are there most of the time. They come and do the BBQs with them, they come take them for walks, and all kinds of activities. I want to say that’s my favorite. To see somebody so loved and so cared for, that they have their whole family still there supporting them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room for Brian

Volunteer Spotlight: Ingrid Lasley

Sweet, Precious Time